Movies In the Park Series Offers Free Outdoor Events — Films and Playdates for Everyone
Austin Parks Foundation provides fun outdoor events at no cost again this year
Austin Parks Foundation is serving up an exciting 2023 schedule for its free outdoor events series, In the Park. In the Park is comprised of both Movies in the Park and Playdates in the Park. All ages are invited to participate in these creative and community-centric programs.
For 10 years, APF has brought free films to Austin neighborhoods, providing residents with easy access to outdoor entertainment.
“We’ve seen the sense of community that park-centered events like our In the Park series fosters among our neighbors and attendees,” shares Colin Wallis, CEO of APF.
“Giving Austinites access to free programming allows for more opportunities to get the community to enjoy our parks and green spaces and provides a safe, fun atmosphere for family and friends to gather.”
Enjoy New and Old Favorites at In the Park
Kicking off on April 13 and continuing through November, APF is presenting seven beloved films across Austin’s neighborhoods in partnership with Rocket Cinema.
Guests are encouraged to bring picnics, blankets, lawn chairs, and even dogs on leashes. Various locations will also have food trucks on-site. Make sure to leave the booze behind, though; alcohol is not permitted.
The 2023 screening schedule includes:
- Back to the Future at Dick Nichols District Park on April 13 at 7 pm
- Lego Batman at Dove Springs District Park on April 27 at 7 pm
- Free Guy at Gus Garcia District Park on May 25 at 7:30 pm
- The Sandlot at Govalle District Park on June 29 at 7:30 pm
- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off at Location To Be Announced on September 29 at 6:30 pm
- Hocus Pocus at Mueller Lake Park on October 26 at 6:30 pm
- Moana at Mabel Davis District Park on November 10 at 6:30 pm
Playdates in the Park Is for the Kids
Playdates in the Park, the newer program on the APF roster, is returning for its second year with lively activities for families with young children.
In partnership with Creative Action, these all-ages events include live story time readings, arts and crafts, creative movement, music, and more.
The full schedule includes:
- Garrison District Park on April 12 at 10 am
- Alderbrook Pocket Park on April 29 at 10 am
- Armadillo Neighborhood Park on May 10 at 10 am
- Patterson Neighborhood Park on May 27 at 10 am