Meanwhile Brewing Company’s Book Fair “Lagers and Literature” Returns for Its Second Year
The annual celebration seeks to foster reading in the Austin community and supports nonprofit organization, Inside Books Project
Meanwhile Brewing Company’s highly anticipated book fair “Lagers and Literature” is making a comeback on August 20.
Taking place in the brewery’s beer garden, the second installment will benefit Inside Books Projects, an Austin-based nonprofit dedicated to providing books and educational materials to the incarcerated as well as educating the general public on issues of incarceration.
Guests will be invited to celebrate Austin’s rich literary scene and various storytelling mediums.
“We’re proud to include local booksellers, authors, and non-profit organizations– both new and returning in this year’s event,” exclaims Adrienne Rivers, Meanwhile Brewing Company’s Onsite Event Manager. “For us, serves a few purposes: supporting literacy in our community and getting people excited about literature and storytelling. We recognize that there are many ways to connect with books and stories, whether by watching movies or building your own book from scratch.”
Supporting Inside Books Project
Founded in 1998, Inside Books Project serves as the only books-to-prisoners program in Texas, where over 120,000 people are incarcerated. Using the help of volunteers, their process involves receiving written requests from inmates for books and resource guides. The books they send back become the personal property of the prisoner who requested them.
Inside Books Project believes that every prisoner has the right to quality reading and educational materials and that cuts to prison education programs highlight an emphasis on punishment over rehabilitation.
“2023 marks Inside Books’ 25th year of sending free books to people in Texas prisons” shares a representative. “We would never have been able to do this without the undying support of Austinites and others, and hope to keep providing free resources. Being part of Lagers and Literature also helps us to interact and meet those people who continue to support us and the work we do.”
Book Donation Drive
All are welcome to take part in a month-long book donation drive for Inside Books Project that runs from August 1 – August 20. Any books not received by the organization will be collected by Recycle Reads. For more information about what books Inside Books Project can receive, check their website and wishlist. Bins will be placed inside the taproom to collect all donations. During the Lagers and Literature festivities, one dollar from the sale of each Meanwhile Pilsner will also be donated to the nonprofit.
Lagers and Literature Lineup
The current list of Lagers and Literature vendors and participants includes:
- Ashley Robin Franklin cartoonist and illustrator
- Austin Bat Cave sharing information about creative writing, journalism, college essay & resume writing programs and workshops via their Bat Mobile
- Austin Book Arts Center offering custom coaster printing and selling handmade books
- Austin Public Library providing library card sign up, book and movie check out, and library branded goodies for free via their Mobile Library
- Bluejay Books & Vintage selling a vintage selection of science fiction, thriller, and fantasy titles
- Book People selling staff & customer favorite books
- Inside Books Project tabling information about their non-profit work
- Lone Star Zine Fest zine collection display
- The Harry Ransom Center tabling information about their collection and new exhibition “The Very Long Lives of Very Old Books”
- The Page Pilgrim selling a vintage selection of books
- Typewriter Rodeo custom handcrafted, individual poems (for free) for attendees
- Red Salmon Arts, Casa de Resistancia Books selling a selection of indigenous culture and political activism titles
- We Luv Video offering information about their upcoming video rental & cultural community space
- Yvonne Shoots shooting large format film portraits
Lagers and Literature will be open to all ages and free to the public from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.